• The last day of school for the 2023-2024 school year is May 17.
The Student News Site of Emerson High School

The Charge

The Charge

The Charge

Michael Garcia
Features
Enthusiasm and wise words: Celebrating Michael Garcia’s success in the math classroom
Jade Bontron, Guest Contributor • May 13, 2024

Michael Garcia, a math teacher at Emerson High School, talked about how his career has impacted him as a person and how his students have taught...

Mavericks are covered in color after participating in the Color Run, a fundraiser event for Zakis Make-a-Wish campaign.
News
Mavericks unite: Colorful weekend raises $14K for Make-A-Wish
Eshaan Shaik and Isabelle SmithMay 13, 2024

On May 4, Mavericks concluded Wish Week by participating in the Make-A-Wish Color Run, which was preceded by the Powder Puff Football Game on...

Unbranded Broadcast 5/13/2024
The Unbranded
Unbranded Broadcast 5/13/2024
Isabelle Smith, Pakhee Verma, Austin Lee, Brooks Johnson, Jacob Logan, and David ChoiMay 13, 2024

On our last episode of the year, Pakhee Verma highlights summer internships, Austin Lee asks seniors for advice on Mavs in the Hallway, Jacob...

Garrett Baughman, Physics
Features
Teacher Appreciation Week: Garrett Baughman, Physics Teacher
Cameryn Allen, Guest Contributor • May 13, 2024

The physics classroom is as much a laboratory for scientific inquiry as it is a forum for philosophical exploration. In a unique approach for...

Allie Cecil
Features
Impact on the court and in the classroom: Allie Cecil
David Olaleye, Guest Contributor • May 10, 2024

It’s Teacher Appreciation Week at Emerson High School. One of the many teachers to be grateful for is Ms. Allie Cecil. Her vibrant personality...

Emerson Theatre Company shines in ‘Once Upon a Mattress’

Emerson Theatre Company

On January 18, 19 and 20, the Emerson Theatre Company performed a musical called “Once Upon a Mattress” in the Emerson High School Auditorium after three months of rehearsing. “Once Upon a Mattress” is a musical retelling of the story of “The Princess and the Pea.”

Prior to the performances, the cast and crew had many rehearsals. During these months, the cast worked on perfecting their choreography, music, lines and blocking. Once the cast was decided, they got straight to work learning all the songs in the musical during lunch with the choir director, Christopher Orr. Throughout their rehearsals outside of school, the cast learnt dances created by Faith Quave, the choreographer and a cast member in the ensemble. Additionally, they had to spend time working through each scene with the head director, Elizabeth Rotan in order to create the finished product viewed by the audiences each night of the show.

The technical crew was also part of the creation of the final product. Under the guidance of the technical director, Zakeijia Wright, the crew brainstormed and built the set, props and costumes as well as designing the sound, lighting, hair and makeup for each character in the production.

Both the crew and the cast had to overcome multiple challenges that came with working with a live orchestra. Emerson’s orchestra and portions of the band learned how to play each song in the musical. After lots of practice separately, the cast and the musicians began working together. It took some adjustments and special attention to timing, but thanks to the directors and all of the rehearsals, they managed to pull it off, showcasing their skill to the community.

“What was put together highlighted everyone’s abilities and their talents, and I think that’s the best thing when students get to be highlighted in that way. I think it went really well,” said Rotan.

This version of “The Princess and the Pea” is about a prince who is trying to find a princess to wed, but his mother doesn’t want him to be married. She composed an unfair test for each princess that attempted to marry her son, and each princess failed. The story focuses on the latest princess to be tested; an unlikely candidate from the swamps named Princess Winnifred. The musical follows the princess from the point of her arrival at Queen Aggravain’s kingdom through a series of musical numbers played live by Emerson’s orchestra and band for the first time.

“I really liked the Jester’s dance because he had a really great voice, and he did a really good job,” said Connor Sweatman, a senior and audience member on closing night.
Overall, the audience seemed to enjoy the scenes and musical numbers, and they had many laughs throughout the show.

“Everyone was so good, and it was really fun to watch. I did not want to leave,” said Thrayi Thimmancherla, an audience member and sophomore at Emerson High School.