• The last day of school for the 2023-2024 school year is May 17.
The Student News Site of Emerson High School

The Charge

The Charge

The Charge

Mavericks are covered in color after participating in the Color Run, a fundraiser event for Zakis Make-a-Wish campaign.
News
Mavericks unite: Colorful weekend raises $14K for Make-A-Wish
Eshaan Shaik and Isabelle SmithMay 13, 2024

On May 4, Mavericks concluded Wish Week by participating in the Make-A-Wish Color Run, which was preceded by the Powder Puff Football Game on...

Unbranded Broadcast 5/13/2024
The Unbranded
Unbranded Broadcast 5/13/2024
Isabelle Smith, Pakhee Verma, Austin Lee, Brooks Johnson, Jacob Logan, and David ChoiMay 13, 2024

On our last episode of the year, Pakhee Verma highlights summer internships, Austin Lee asks seniors for advice on Mavs in the Hallway, Jacob...

Garrett Baughman, Physics
Features
Teacher Appreciation Week: Garrett Baughman, Physics Teacher
Cameryn Allen, Guest Contributor • May 13, 2024

The physics classroom is as much a laboratory for scientific inquiry as it is a forum for philosophical exploration. In a unique approach for...

Allie Cecil
Features
Impact on the court and in the classroom: Allie Cecil
David Olaleye, Guest Contributor • May 10, 2024

It’s Teacher Appreciation Week at Emerson High School. One of the many teachers to be grateful for is Ms. Allie Cecil. Her vibrant personality...

Rachel Jadormeo
Features
Teacher on a mission: Rachel Jadormeo’s goals as an educator
Madison Payne, Guest Contributor • May 10, 2024

Rachel Jadormeo, An AP Literature and GT Humanities at Emerson High School shares the highs and lows of her teaching career and how deeply she...

Prom proposals and pep rally kick off Senior Week festivities

Major+the+Maverick+was+captured+wearing+the+prom+tiara+during+the+Senior+Pep+Rally.+
Giulia Tolar
Major the Maverick was captured wearing the prom tiara during the Senior Pep Rally.

As the class of 2024 prepares for the end of their final year at Emerson, many events are lined up to celebrate them. One of these events is Senior Week, a week dedicated to the enjoyment and success of students. It will take place during the week of April 2 through April 5.

To launch senior festivities, a pep rally devoted to the senior class was held on Tuesday, March 26. During the pep rally, this year’s prom court was presented, which includes: Caleb Griffin and Reese Ewert, Jaydyn Kirvin and Peyton Adams, and Izzy Bills and Amy Wang. Mavericks indulged in an “aww” moment when junior Christian Lyons asked out Peyton Adams for prom. Additionally, the prom court participated in a game of Hungry, Hungry Hippos. Per usual, the pep rally featured performances by the Majestics, winter guard, and cheer teams. The pep rally wrapped up with a flavorful mess, where the National Math Honor Society raffle winners got to pie teachers in the face. Those teachers were: Mr. Porter, Coach Wright, Mr. Wilkins, Coach Heggie, Ms. Lam, and Ms. Morales.

• Caleb Griffin and Reese Ewert represent themselves as members of the Prom Court.

• Izzy Bills and Amy Wang greet students as they walk for Prom Court.

• Jaedyn Kirvin and Peyton Adams wave to the senior class when walking for Prom Court.

• In the spirit of promposal season, Christian Lyons “promposes” to girlfriend, Peyton Adams, with a bouquet of flowers.

• Reese Ewert and Caleb Griffin compete in a game of Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

• Tori Nielson performs for Color Guard during the Senior Pep Rally.

Maverick Leadership is in charge of organizing Senior Week and have been diligently arranging upcoming occasions.

“The leadership team is planning Senior Week by dividing work into committees and making sure to get every senior in Leadership’s opinion,” Senior Class Co-President Arianna Trotter said. “We have also been designing fun Instagram posts along with large posters and putting flyers in the weekly newsletter. The leadership team always tries to make sure that there are incentives for seniors so they know that Senior Week is all about them.”

During this week, the seniors are in for some entertaining activities that will certainly make this week a memorable one.

“We are creating games that are specifically for the seniors such as Tug of War, a karaoke contest, and a donut eating contest,” Student Body Co-President Jaedyn Kirvin said.

Trotter further explains the significance behind Senior Week.

“We organized Senior Week because this is the first graduating class of Emerson so we knew everything we’ve done this year needed to be special because the Class of 2024, the first graduating class, is like no other,” Trotter said. “Senior Week also just gives everyone a chance to have fun before the time starts to go by and graduation is here before we know it. ”

The conclusion of Senior Week will also commence prom which will occur on April 6, from 7:00 to 10:00 at The McKinney Cotton Mill. Students can purchase tickets through OnlineSchoolFees or consult Mrs. McInnis in the AP office.

View Comments (1)