• The last day of school for the 2023-2024 school year is May 17.
The Student News Site of Emerson High School

The Charge

The Charge

The Charge

Michael Garcia
Features
Enthusiasm and wise words: Celebrating Michael Garcia’s success in the math classroom
Jade Bontron, Guest Contributor • May 13, 2024

Michael Garcia, a math teacher at Emerson High School, talked about how his career has impacted him as a person and how his students have taught...

Mavericks are covered in color after participating in the Color Run, a fundraiser event for Zakis Make-a-Wish campaign.
News
Mavericks unite: Colorful weekend raises $14K for Make-A-Wish
Eshaan Shaik and Isabelle SmithMay 13, 2024

On May 4, Mavericks concluded Wish Week by participating in the Make-A-Wish Color Run, which was preceded by the Powder Puff Football Game on...

Unbranded Broadcast 5/13/2024
The Unbranded
Unbranded Broadcast 5/13/2024
Isabelle Smith, Pakhee Verma, Austin Lee, Brooks Johnson, Jacob Logan, and David ChoiMay 13, 2024

On our last episode of the year, Pakhee Verma highlights summer internships, Austin Lee asks seniors for advice on Mavs in the Hallway, Jacob...

Garrett Baughman, Physics
Features
Teacher Appreciation Week: Garrett Baughman, Physics Teacher
Cameryn Allen, Guest Contributor • May 13, 2024

The physics classroom is as much a laboratory for scientific inquiry as it is a forum for philosophical exploration. In a unique approach for...

Allie Cecil
Features
Impact on the court and in the classroom: Allie Cecil
David Olaleye, Guest Contributor • May 10, 2024

It’s Teacher Appreciation Week at Emerson High School. One of the many teachers to be grateful for is Ms. Allie Cecil. Her vibrant personality...

Fairview Farmers: A must-visit for brunch 

A+colorful+array+of+breakfast+foods+from+Fairview+Farmers+including+the+cherry+almond+french+toast+and+OG+avocado+toast.+
Michelle Eu
A colorful array of breakfast foods from Fairview Farmers including the cherry almond french toast and OG avocado toast.

Fairview Farmers is a local brunch spot located in the Allen area.With a breakfast menu that spreads from your traditional chicken and waffles to unconventional breakfast options like berry blast pancakes and cherry almond cheesecake french toast. Fairview Farmers makes the brunch experience more than the typical “eggs and toast.” Fairview Farmers is mostly known for the diverse offerings of both savory and sweet breakfast options and its friendly open setting makes it a popular spot for locals to stop by especially during the weekends.

I went to Fairview Farmers with friends on a busy Saturday morning. We were greeted by a festive atmosphere in the decorations that were up for Valentine’s day like the pink floral arrangements on all the tables. With a small lounge area in the front and a small coffee bar, it allowed us to sit comfortably while we waited to be seated. Typically with brunch spots, it’s common to expect breakfast staples on a fairly basic menu, but Fairview Farmers exceeded my expectations of the average brunch restaurant.

Our waitress was accommodating and gave us a booth seat since we had a party of four people. She continued to help us in advising what to order and answering any questions we had about what each item on the menu contained, since one of my friends had a peanut allergy.

Mint leaves and flowers dressed on top of the cherry almond toast I ordered at Fairview Farmers. (Michelle Eu)

Each food item we ordered came decorated with flowers and it was clear to see the effort made in plating each dish. As soon as each dish came out, my friends and I were snapping pictures of the food and it was difficult for us to see each dish’s beautiful plating ruined after we took a bite. The s’moreo pancakes came topped off with a tower of whip cream, an oreo, and waffle sticks. The pancakes were soft, fluffy, and not overly cooked. Although the pancakes were sweet when eaten with the whip cream, it wasn’t overbearing. The addition of the stroop waffle on top of the pancakes came as a surprise and gave a textural element to the dish. The marshmallow and oreo on top of the whipped cream added to the s’moreo aspect of the pancake and would cater to anyone with a sweet tooth. The OG Avocado toast was plated with flowers and petals along with a side of hashbrowns. Fairview Farmers completely reinvents the original avocado toast to be gourmet in its plating. The avocado toast was good; I liked the creamy avocado spread and it had a good overall crisp texture. However, the addition of the eggs benedict and onions gave more seasoning and a savory flavor to the dish leaving me satisfied. The eggs benedict had a runny yolk that worked well with the avocado toast. The hash browns were somewhat simple and bland. I found that they didn’t pair the best with the avocado toast. Finally, the cherry almond toast dressed in flowers and mint leaves along with syrup matched the other dishes in both presentation and taste. The toast itself wasn’t burnt and was perfectly crisp golden-brown. With fresh strawberries and strawberry sauce in between layers of almond and whipped cream, each bite was sandwiched in between different textures and refreshing. The cherry almond toast was my favorite dish of all and balanced the sweetness to a tolerable level.

A small coffee bar at the front of the brunch restaurant that offers bar seating to customers visiting Fairview Farmers alone. (Michelle Eu)

After our filling meal, my friends and I took pictures at the photo wall they have with a lit up sign and small lounge chairs near the front of the restaurant with the coffee bar. The layout of the restaurant allowed us to enjoy the entire experience of visiting Fairview Farmers for brunch. With its ambient lighting and plenty of booth seating, Fairview Farmers is a comforting brunch spot with a warm atmosphere.  If you plan to visit Fairview Farmers, you should be aware that it might be busy during weekends especially from ten in the morning to noon. The location is in a fairly small area with little parking, so if you plan to drop by, make sure that you try coming early. The prices of food on the menu were average, and the portions were more than what we expected, so I would recommend that you share dishes if you are bringing a party of multiple people. They had some vegetarian options, but many of the items on the dish contain other flavoral components so people with peanut allergies or other food allergies might not find the menu accommodating.
In comparison to other brunch spots around the north Texas area, I find that Fairview Farmers exceeds in its appeal and how it caters to a wide flavor palate. The quick service and delicious food makes Fairview Farmers a brunch spot that I would highly recommend to others and I find myself coming back to especially for a traditional Sunday brunch.