• The last day of school for the 2023-2024 school year is May 17.
The Student News Site of Emerson High School

The Charge

The Charge

The Charge

Michael Garcia
Features
Enthusiasm and wise words: Celebrating Michael Garcia’s success in the math classroom
Jade Bontron, Guest Contributor • May 13, 2024

Michael Garcia, a math teacher at Emerson High School, talked about how his career has impacted him as a person and how his students have taught...

Mavericks are covered in color after participating in the Color Run, a fundraiser event for Zakis Make-a-Wish campaign.
News
Mavericks unite: Colorful weekend raises $14K for Make-A-Wish
Eshaan Shaik and Isabelle SmithMay 13, 2024

On May 4, Mavericks concluded Wish Week by participating in the Make-A-Wish Color Run, which was preceded by the Powder Puff Football Game on...

Unbranded Broadcast 5/13/2024
The Unbranded
Unbranded Broadcast 5/13/2024
Isabelle Smith, Pakhee Verma, Austin Lee, Brooks Johnson, Jacob Logan, and David ChoiMay 13, 2024

On our last episode of the year, Pakhee Verma highlights summer internships, Austin Lee asks seniors for advice on Mavs in the Hallway, Jacob...

Garrett Baughman, Physics
Features
Teacher Appreciation Week: Garrett Baughman, Physics Teacher
Cameryn Allen, Guest Contributor • May 13, 2024

The physics classroom is as much a laboratory for scientific inquiry as it is a forum for philosophical exploration. In a unique approach for...

Allie Cecil
Features
Impact on the court and in the classroom: Allie Cecil
David Olaleye, Guest Contributor • May 10, 2024

It’s Teacher Appreciation Week at Emerson High School. One of the many teachers to be grateful for is Ms. Allie Cecil. Her vibrant personality...

Lady Mavericks make historic playoff debut after stellar season

The Lady Mavericks softball team has made a monumental achievement as they take their first leap into the playoffs. With a season record of 20-10 and 8-5 in district play, they’ve not only outperformed expectations but have also set the stage for an incredible playoff debut.

The journey to the playoffs was sealed with a decisive 9-6 victory against Heritage, a game that not only showcased their skill but also their determination to succeed.

“Beating Heritage and securing our spot in the playoffs had a really big impact on us because it showed all the hard work had a place it was going,” freshman catcher Savanna Carleton said.

“It solidified the fact that we had improved so much from last year that we definitely were not the same team that got swept by them last year,” junior shortstop Lauren Short said.

Madison Fletcher, 11, and Lauren Short, 11, high five during the Heritage game. (Olivia Caban)

“Knowing that that win secured us a spot in playoffs made it better because it was kind of a back and forth game,” junior pitcher Addison Hudnall said.

For a team and a coaching staff that dedicated the off-season to rigorous training and strategic planning, this playoff entry isn’t just a win; it’s the culmination of months of hard work and perseverance.

“The biggest challenge I feel like we had to overcome is our confidence because last year, we didn’t have the record that we have now,” said freshman middle infielder Alexis Maijala. “We had to gain a lot of confidence to get where we are today.”

“I feel like Coach Mac, she really mentally prepares for us. Like, she does everything she can to help us. She stays after for us, and so I feel like she’s prepared us great for it, and I feel like we just have to execute,” Carleton said.

“We got way more mentally tough this year and softball is a mental sport,” Short said. “We pulled together as a team. We worked on definitely working together through slumps and everything, and instead of pulling apart during games, we came together and we rallied.”

Amidst the excitement, the significance of this achievement resonates deeply, marking a first in the program’s history—a testament to the players’ commitment and the community’s unwavering support.

Savanna Carleton, 9, Alexis Maijala, 9, and Amilee Stapp, 11, celebrate the win against Heritage. (Olivia Caban)

“It means a lot, especially being here all four years. It’s important to me that I’m leaving something behind,” Short said. “I definitely didn’t do it by myself. I’m glad that we are the first team to make it, and I think that these girls deserve that. And I think it’s a great legacy to leave behind.”

“Looking back years from now and knowing that you were part of that is an achievement in itself,” Hudnall said. “Knowing you did it with a group of people that you’re friends with makes it even better.”

As the Lady Mavs look ahead to their first playoff game next week, the excitement is palpable, and the call for community support is stronger than ever. Follow their instagram account, ladymavericks_sb to stay updated on their playoff games and future success. Good luck, Lady Mavs!