• The last day of school for the 2023-2024 school year is May 17.
The Student News Site of Emerson High School

The Charge

The Charge

The Charge

Michael Garcia
Features
Enthusiasm and wise words: Celebrating Michael Garcia’s success in the math classroom
Jade Bontron, Guest Contributor • May 13, 2024

Michael Garcia, a math teacher at Emerson High School, talked about how his career has impacted him as a person and how his students have taught...

Mavericks are covered in color after participating in the Color Run, a fundraiser event for Zakis Make-a-Wish campaign.
News
Mavericks unite: Colorful weekend raises $14K for Make-A-Wish
Eshaan Shaik and Isabelle SmithMay 13, 2024

On May 4, Mavericks concluded Wish Week by participating in the Make-A-Wish Color Run, which was preceded by the Powder Puff Football Game on...

Unbranded Broadcast 5/13/2024
The Unbranded
Unbranded Broadcast 5/13/2024
Isabelle Smith, Pakhee Verma, Austin Lee, Brooks Johnson, Jacob Logan, and David ChoiMay 13, 2024

On our last episode of the year, Pakhee Verma highlights summer internships, Austin Lee asks seniors for advice on Mavs in the Hallway, Jacob...

Garrett Baughman, Physics
Features
Teacher Appreciation Week: Garrett Baughman, Physics Teacher
Cameryn Allen, Guest Contributor • May 13, 2024

The physics classroom is as much a laboratory for scientific inquiry as it is a forum for philosophical exploration. In a unique approach for...

Allie Cecil
Features
Impact on the court and in the classroom: Allie Cecil
David Olaleye, Guest Contributor • May 10, 2024

It’s Teacher Appreciation Week at Emerson High School. One of the many teachers to be grateful for is Ms. Allie Cecil. Her vibrant personality...

A senior recap: Maverick girls basketball

Emerson+Varsity+Girls+Basketball+
Shane Shepherd
Emerson Varsity Girls Basketball

As the Maverick Girls Basketball season comes to a close, it marks the last year of high school basketball for the seniors on the team. One memorable thing about this year’s basketball season was the growth of the team.

“I would say I spent about 14-15 hours a week practicing basketball,” Senior Sophia Semrau said. “That is why my favorite part about basketball this year was seeing the improvement in the program from all teams. I got to see all the work finally start to pay off.”

Another highlight of this season was teamwork.

“I will miss the connections I made through the sport and playing in basketball games and the competitiveness in games while playing with my teammates,” Semrau said.

Concluding their senior basketball season has left the players with bittersweet feelings, but they look back on her high school basketball career with no regrets.

“My most memorable experience playing throughout high school would be my freshman year when I went to the State Championship as the starting point guard,” Semrau said. “It will be a memory I hold with me for years to come.”

“My favorite part of this season by far was senior night, and being able to play against my friends,” said Senior Madison Maryman.

She looks toward graduation remembering her most memorable moment, which was,

“Winning our first tournament this year, and being able to put something in the trophy case.”