• The last day of school for the 2023-2024 school year is May 17.
The Student News Site of Emerson High School

The Charge

The Charge

The Charge

Mavericks are covered in color after participating in the Color Run, a fundraiser event for Zakis Make-a-Wish campaign.
News
Mavericks unite: Colorful weekend raises $14K for Make-A-Wish
Eshaan Shaik and Isabelle SmithMay 13, 2024

On May 4, Mavericks concluded Wish Week by participating in the Make-A-Wish Color Run, which was preceded by the Powder Puff Football Game on...

Unbranded Broadcast 5/13/2024
The Unbranded
Unbranded Broadcast 5/13/2024
Isabelle Smith, Pakhee Verma, Austin Lee, Brooks Johnson, Jacob Logan, and David ChoiMay 13, 2024

On our last episode of the year, Pakhee Verma highlights summer internships, Austin Lee asks seniors for advice on Mavs in the Hallway, Jacob...

Garrett Baughman, Physics
Features
Teacher Appreciation Week: Garrett Baughman, Physics Teacher
Cameryn Allen, Guest Contributor • May 13, 2024

The physics classroom is as much a laboratory for scientific inquiry as it is a forum for philosophical exploration. In a unique approach for...

Allie Cecil
Features
Impact on the court and in the classroom: Allie Cecil
David Olaleye, Guest Contributor • May 10, 2024

It’s Teacher Appreciation Week at Emerson High School. One of the many teachers to be grateful for is Ms. Allie Cecil. Her vibrant personality...

Rachel Jadormeo
Features
Teacher on a mission: Rachel Jadormeo’s goals as an educator
Madison Payne, Guest Contributor • May 10, 2024

Rachel Jadormeo, An AP Literature and GT Humanities at Emerson High School shares the highs and lows of her teaching career and how deeply she...

Senior Spotlight: Kayla Ballesil

Kayla+Ballesil
Kayla Ballesil

From placing in the all region honor choir to now preparing for state solo and ensemble, the fine arts has been an integral part of Kayla Jesselle Ballesil’s high school career. Ballesil, a founding member of Emerson’s choice program and oboist in the band, has decided to continue pursuing her passion of music post graduation at UNT.

Ballesil’s dedication to the arts began at a young age.

“I’ve been in both band and choir since middle school and I’ve always been really passionate about music, since I grew up in a family that loves to sing,” said Ballesil.

Post graduation, Ballesil has decided to continue her musical education and will be double majoring in Oboe Performance and Computer Science at UNT.

“I specifically picked UNT because I know their music program is absolutely amazing,” Ballesil said. “I’m very excited to work with all sorts of new people and make music together. I decided to double major mostly because it’s the ‘safer’ option, but I’m also interested in computer science as it’s the field my dad works in and my sister is also a computer science major.”

Choir has been a community that Ballesil has been a part of from the start. As an original member of Emerson’s choir program, Ballesil doesn’t only see choir as a place to practice music but a place to share her passion for music with her companions.

“Choir is where most of my friends are, so going to choir always means that I can have a good time and make music with my favorite people without having to worry about anything else,” Ballesil said.

However, to Ballesil, the best part of choir is the performance aspect. Seeing weeks of rehearsals and practices with her fellow choir members come to fruition at concerts has been an experience she’ll never forget.

“It’s the most satisfying culmination of all of our hard work, and it always makes me so happy when people from the audience tell me that we did a good job,” Ballesil said.