• The last day of school for the 2023-2024 school year is May 17.
The Student News Site of Emerson High School

The Charge

The Charge

The Charge

Mavericks are covered in color after participating in the Color Run, a fundraiser event for Zakis Make-a-Wish campaign.
News
Mavericks unite: Colorful weekend raises $14K for Make-A-Wish
Eshaan Shaik and Isabelle SmithMay 13, 2024

On May 4, Mavericks concluded Wish Week by participating in the Make-A-Wish Color Run, which was preceded by the Powder Puff Football Game on...

Unbranded Broadcast 5/13/2024
The Unbranded
Unbranded Broadcast 5/13/2024
Isabelle Smith, Pakhee Verma, Austin Lee, Brooks Johnson, Jacob Logan, and David ChoiMay 13, 2024

On our last episode of the year, Pakhee Verma highlights summer internships, Austin Lee asks seniors for advice on Mavs in the Hallway, Jacob...

Garrett Baughman, Physics
Features
Teacher Appreciation Week: Garrett Baughman, Physics Teacher
Cameryn Allen, Guest Contributor • May 13, 2024

The physics classroom is as much a laboratory for scientific inquiry as it is a forum for philosophical exploration. In a unique approach for...

Allie Cecil
Features
Impact on the court and in the classroom: Allie Cecil
David Olaleye, Guest Contributor • May 10, 2024

It’s Teacher Appreciation Week at Emerson High School. One of the many teachers to be grateful for is Ms. Allie Cecil. Her vibrant personality...

Rachel Jadormeo
Features
Teacher on a mission: Rachel Jadormeo’s goals as an educator
Madison Payne, Guest Contributor • May 10, 2024

Rachel Jadormeo, An AP Literature and GT Humanities at Emerson High School shares the highs and lows of her teaching career and how deeply she...

Senior Spotlight: Robert Black III

Robert Black III

On the basketball court, Senior Robert Black III exemplifies qualities that a dedicated player should have – determination, awareness, grit, and a positive attitude. As he dribbles the ball across the court, his mind is set on bringing his team to a great win. With Black being a month shy of graduation, he reminisces about his athletic career at Emerson with The Charge. 

In a family structure, the older sibling is commonly the one who sets a precedent for the younger siblings, and that’s exactly what occurred with Black.  

“My big brother inspired me to play basketball,” Black said. “I had seen my brother play basketball in high school and college, which motivated me to join.” 

Black shares how he sustains success on and off the court. 

“On the court, I just put my head in the game and hone the skills that I have acquired as a player. Off the court, I prevent indulging in actions that I know will mess me up athletically.” 

Emerson’s head boys’ basketball coach, La’Ryan Gary, works diligently to ward off discouragement in his players. 

“Coach Gary since day one took me under his wing and we have been real tight since then,” Black said. “When my teammates and I are in low spirits, he uplifts us which is what makes him an exceptional coach.” 

Being a part of a team teaches athletes about developing a strong bond and a solid relationship with peers. 

“My favorite part about working with a team is having all my teammates by my side, the younger and the older ones,” Black said.  “They really keep me going regardless of any circumstance.” 

Black will be pursuing undergraduate studies at the University of North Texas. 

“After graduation, I’m attending the University of North Texas to get a degree in Business Management or Marketing. However, I will not be playing any sports there.” 

Emerson’s basketball season this school year was a successful one, as it allowed for Black’s athleticism to illuminate. 

“My final season was really fun,” Black said. “It was a comeback season. Last year, I quit and for me to come back this year and advance to the playoffs made it a fulfilling season.”